Financial Ombudsman ServiceJob of the Week
you’ll combine outstanding listening and problem-solving skills, to do what it takes to sort out the complaints people bring to us – quickly, fairly and in a human way.
Salary: £28,900 plus benefits
The roles are available on a full time and part time basis. Part-time is a minimum of 28 hours across four days a week.
London docklands - currently our entire team is working remotely, but when we return to the office, we will be looking at how we can work flexibly including potential to work from home 1-2 days a week.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our Resourcing Partner if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.
At the Financial Ombudsman Service, we make decisions on a range of complex and difficult issues. Every year we resolve hundreds of thousands of disputes between consumers or small businesses and their financial service providers – and if we believe a customer hasn’t been treated fairly, we can step in to put things right.
In the investigator role, you’ll investigate complaints about financial products and services. Working in a targeted environment as part of a small team supported by an ombudsman manager, you’ll be accountable for investigating things thoroughly and getting to the heart of our customers’ complaints.
You’ll spend six months in our academy developing the skills that’ll help you to find answers that are fair and feel fair.
Building on your existing experience, you’ll learn to listen carefully to both sides, ask the right questions and use sound judgement – as well as drawing on the expertise and knowledge of those around you. You’ll need to build trust, manage expectations and explain what you think, and why – both in writing and over the phone. You’ll thrive in an environment where no two days are the same.
If you would like to find out more, then why not take a look at our website where you can find testimonies from some of our investigators: https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/who-we-are/join-us/investigators
To be considered for this role, you’ll need to show us that you’ve got the skills and capabilities as described in the job profile. You’ll also need to meet the following minimum criteria:
• Experience of effective decision making with accountability for decisions made.
• Demonstrate the ability to evaluate evidence using sound judgement and empathy
• Have worked in a targeted environment and demonstrate the ability to work under pressure.
• Excellent customer service skills- confident with both written and verbal communication.
• Work autonomously and take ownership for your own workload.
We welcome people with all sorts of work experience. We’re especially looking for candidates with any of the following:
• Knowledge of financial products
• Experience in decision making or analytical roles (for example, legal / paralegal/casework/claims)
How do I apply?
Please upload a copy of your most up to date CV, along with a supporting statement (no more than 700 words) answering the two following questions:
• Tell us about a time where you had to make a complex decision on a subject you weren’t familiar with – explain how you used good judgement and fairness to ensure the decision was clear
• Tell us about a time where you have worked at pace, managed your own time and adapted to changing priorities
Applications need to be submitted by 11.59pm on Sunday 27th June. Successful candidates will be invited to complete an online psychometric test.
Due to high application numbers this advert may end earlier than the date specified, so please don't delay and apply now!
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job. If you see a vacancy on Diversity Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com