Chair of the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service
General Medical CouncilEmployer of the Week
Background to the MPTS
The Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service provides an adjudication service and plays a critical role in the protection of patients by making independent decisions about a doctor’s fitness to practise, measured against professional standards set by the General Medical Council.
Dame Caroline Swift, the current Chair, is stepping down in December 2022 and the GMC is seeking to appoint a new lay MPTS Chair.
The MPTS was launched in 2012 to provide a clear separation between the GMC’s investigation function and the adjudication of doctor’s fitness to practise. The MPTS is accountable both to Parliament and the Council of the GMC for delivery of its objectives.
Requirements of the role
This is a high-profile leadership position and the Chair will play a significant role in ensuring delivery of the strategic direction of the MPTS and its statutory responsibilities.
• provide strong leadership and vision to the MPTS Committee, tribunal members and MPTS staff, ensuring that the organisation operates effectively.
• drive change to further strengthen the MPTS’s operational effectiveness.
• ensure the quality and fairness of decision-making by tribunals through robust quality assurance mechanisms and the development of tribunal members.
• act as an advocate for the MPTS and develop and maintain strong and collaborative relationships with all the MPTS’ key interest groups, to ensure confidence in the effectiveness and fairness of the MPTS’ activities.
You will ideally have served in judicial office or will have a track record of having run an effective operation within the Tribunal or Courts Service or similar. Your experience will have been gained in a large and complex organisation ideally in the public or not for profit sector.
Time commitment, location and renumeration
The time commitment, location and remuneration for the role will be:
• Two to three days per week on a flexible basis.
• £87,835 per year for three days per week, (c£145,000 per annum full time equivalent salary).
• This is a Manchester based role with occasional travel to London. Some home working is possible.
• The successful candidate will ideally take up the role from 3 January 2023.
Our commitment to fairness and transparency
The MPTS vision is to provide a modern tribunal service that is effective, fair and impartial. In order to deliver this vision we strongly encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and those who can also bring diversity of thought and perspective to this role.
We are a Disability Confident employer and are committed to offering applicants an interview who meet all the essential criteria for this post.
Fairness is driven throughout all our activities and this includes ensuring that the appointments process for this role is fair, transparent and free from bias and discrimination.
More information can be found in the candidate pack including how to apply. Please visit www.mpts-leadersuk.org
For an informal confidential discussion and to discuss adjustments we can make to assist your application, please contact the advising consultants Katrina Paget or Duncan Ewart on 07471 037071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 5pm, Friday 3 June 2022
The GMC is a charity registered in England and Wales (1089278) and Scotland (SC037750).
PLEASE NOTE: We strongly recommend that you do not provide your bank account details when applying for a job. If you see a vacancy on Diversity Jobsite requesting bank account details please email email@example.com